• We are conducting this year's Foray under permit from the USFS Pagosa District. This permit carries with it guidelines and regulations which we expect participants to understand and observe. (We will detail these regulations on a subsequent Information email and at the Foray.)
• Our permit specifies that we will hold our Field Trips in the San Juan National Forest on Friday, August 24th. Each Field Trip will have a participation limit of 12 people. We will also strive to use only 3 vehicles per Trip group, with a 4 vehicle maximum.
• Field Trip Descriptions and Sign-up sheets will be ready at the Registration area at the Foray. We hope to already have a Trip Leader assigned to each trip prior to commencement of the Foray.
Field Trip Leaders
• We presently have 7 people who have volunteered to lead a Field Trip. This may be enough leaders, but if you have not offered to be a trip leader and would consider doing so, please respond to this email and state that you are willing to take on this role.
Foray going to the Dogs
• Although this will not be the first Foray where Field Trips have counted one or more dogs among their participants, it is not a typical occurrence. This may be one of those dog years.
• We are asking folks who want to take their dog(s) on a Field Trip to ask the Field Trip leader for approval. Trip Leaders, you have complete prerogative to say NO. We also ask that if granted Trip Leader's approval, the dog owner indicate on the sign-up sheet that there will be a canine in the crowd.
• Dog Owners will keep their pet(s) on leash at all times during the Field Trip and clean up Fido's organic deposits.
If you are traveling from the Denver area
• Those coming to Pagosa from Denver, or those traveling between those areas anytime from now through the Foray, should know about the USA Pro Cycling Challenge, which will be starting in Durango on Monday, August 20, and ending in Denver on August 26.
• Associated with this race will be road closures which might considerably increase your travel time. Probably the most important date of which to be aware is August 23, the first day of the Pagosa Foray. The Bike Race's leg for that day will include the stretch of US 24 from the Twin Lakes/Independence Pass turnoff, through Leadville, and on up to I-70. This means that those of you who were considering heading west on I-70, then south through Leadville, might end up with some extra time to visit that fine old mining town.
• If you think your travel might be affected by the Bicycle Race and its associated road closures, I suggest you visit http://usaprocyclingchallenge.com .
• Thank you to our Foray Mycologist Britt Bunyard for bringing this to our attention.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~